Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Kebab Kebab

I was just looking through my photos and found this one. Example
This is from a year and a half ago, when Ninette was leaving France and we decided to go out for our last kebab. The great thing about kebabs is that after you have one, you resolve never to eat another again, yet in a couple of days that resolve successfully crumbles. They are delicious fast food marvels, mostly owned by immigrants from the Near East or North Africa, and are expertly made to be everything that a burger and fries would like to be: salty, meaty, doused with sauce, crispy, full of crunchy, soggy veggies, and terribly bad for you. I wouldn't even dream of making my own kebab, since 5 euros will get me a veal or chicken sandwich (in a faluche - an oval-shaped soft bread, or in a galette - a burrito-style wrap in a house-made 'tortilla'), a huge pile of fries, and a soft drink. And most of the kebab places in Dijon are open late, in case some tipsy language assistants come by for an early morning snack.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Hey, that's my arm in the picture... weee!!!
Even though the Kebab enters in the Fast-Food Category, I have to say that is a lot better than any Quick or McD... And, even though I would prefer eating rice and beans (the only thing we Puerto Ricans eat), I have to say that I don't feel guilty after eating that delicious kebab with fries...
Ninette
P.s. Nicki and I went to the Kebab place at Marberie on our last day in Lille *sniff, sniff*

Unknown said...

I went to this new place in my area called Buffalo Kabob House expecting this sort of fare (particularly since it had a drawing of the archetypal kabob sandwich on its storefront sign). Instead, it turned out to be a straight up Persian Kabob 'diner' that serves up delicious skewered meats with grilled tomatoes and rice for an unbelievable price (like $6!!)